Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Project 3: Automation

In this assignment, you need to create a loop that utilizes an automation clip for a parameter of any channel, and a fade out on the master volume at the end. It sounds more complicated that it actually is. Here's how it works:

1. Come up with a drum pattern (you can use FPC or write one from scratch), and add the SimSynth to your step sequencer (Channels, add one, SimSynth). Note- you can use any synth plug in, but for this project, I'd like to keep everyone using the same one for simplicity in getting going.

2. While you are looking at the channel settings of the SimSynth, hover the mouse over one of the controls in the SVF section. If that parameter can take an automation clip, the status window (upper left corner of the screen) will show a red dot.

3. Play a note on the keyboard and turn one of the knobs in the SVF section (I used the cutoff frequency, but any of the controls in the bottom row would be good choices for this). Notice the change in sound? We can automate the motion that you are doing with your mouse using the automation function in FL Studio.

4. In the piano roll, put in a long note (the same way you did for the chop project). Then go to the drop down arrow in the upper left of the piano roll window and choose tools- riff machine. The riff machine is a lot like the chop tool, but fancier. When you get a riff that you like, hit the accept button, close the piano roll and put the new pattern in the playlist along with your drums.

5. Now open up the SimSynth controls in the step sequencer and select the parameter that you were tweaking in step 3. Right click the parameter and select "Create automation clip". The clip will appear in the playlist on the top.


6. You can tweak this by right clicking on the line in the clip and creating handles so that you can change the shape of the clip. Tweak away (and be sure you are in song mode) while you are listening. Also observe that the parameter control on the SimSynth plug in will move by itself according to your clip's shape.

7. For a finishing touch, create an automation clip on the master volume control to make your loop fade out.

6. Post as usual. Here' s mine: (note, your post should be this descriptive. Notice I didn't say "Here's my loop. I hope you like it!" because that's lame.

For pattern 1 I used with the FPC set to Ambient Beat #1. I used this throughout my loop. Next I put the SymSynth through the riff machine and found a 4 bar pattern that I liked for pattern 2. I used the clone selected command and transposed the same pattern down a step for pattern 3. Finally I added a bass sound from the Sytrus, and I set it to double the first notes of the symsynth. I added the bass line to patterns 2 and 3.
For the automation, I selected the cutoff frequency parameter on the SVF section of the symsynth. I like the way it sounds when it's set really low, but I wanted the first few seconds of my pattern to be with no automation so I started the clip with the control in the middle, then dropped it at a steep curve after a few seconds. I brought it up to midway, the made it come down again but at a much softer slope.
I added a slow fade on the master volume at the end to coincide with the soft slope of the final controller tweak.


No comments:

Post a Comment